Tuesday, July 19, 2016

OH WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE SUMMERTIME?




I have to admit that the summertime is not easy going and relaxing for me.  In past years, being in a blended family has required a lot of strategic planning and coordinating and to be honest I dread it.    

This year two of my kids went to Maine to spend a period of time with their dad, stepmom and family.  At first I was sad and knew that I would miss them.  But after thinking about it for a while, I changed my perspective.  They have many people in their lives that help them to become better people.  We all have roles in their lives and the more experiences they have, the better people they will become.  Of course I have missed them while they were gone but I know that they love me and I have a place in their lives. They are growing up and soon enough will be leading their own lives.  So I am cherishing the time that I have with them and I know that God has a bigger plan for all of us, so I know I need to trust him.  

Likewise, being in a blended family I have many people who enrich my life.  This summer I had the opportunity to be there when my stepson proposed to his girlfriend.   I also have built stronger relationships with my stepkids and my daughter-in-law.  

Since teenagers don’t like a strategic planned schedule of swimming, going to the library, and crafting activities, my six year old still does.  So I have definitely taken advantage of every opportunity to enjoy her before she gets too old for stuff like that.  

This summer has been a growing experience for me and has taught me a lot about changing my perspective and trying to be more positive on how I view my situation.  I really don’t have control of many things, but I do have control of how I handle things and my attitude.  What I have learned is to just enjoy the moments I have with everyone.  


1 comment:

  1. A very wise brother of mine once told me after my divorce when I was raising my two kids; " Attitude is altitude". I realized that the better my attitude was; the better I would feel and could rise to whatever it was I needed to do! It was all up to me at this point. I was the only one who could make changes for me. I had a choice: to be happy or sad. I choose happy and still do.

    ReplyDelete