Friday, February 17, 2012

Get a Teenager, just add Water!



Getting a teenager is NOT just adding water, you may be getting that confused with a Chia Pet.  I got my first teenager about three years ago; Drama Girl was 15 at the time.  Starting off with a teenager is not as simple as adding water and watching them blossom and grow.  A teenager needs constant love and support, and you must have an ever enduring tolerance for mood swings. Sure I have dealt with teenagers in church, but I have never had one for an extended period of time.   I have to admit I was a bit nervous and really did not know where my place was  since I was her stepmom.
 When you have a person come and live with you full time, you have to hurry up and get to know them. Except you really can't hurry up and get to know them it takes time for each of you to get adjusted to each other.  When they made Drama Girl, they broke the mold because there is nobody quite like Drama Girl(and I mean that in the most endearing way).  Drama Girl has the greatest imagination, is witty and very talented.  She  is also very opinioned and is not afraid to have her voice heard.  We have had some long talks and we quickly discovered that we didn't have to agree on everything but more importantly we just needed to have a mutual respect for each other and our beliefs. I have realized that if Drama Girl is having a bad day it doesn't mean that she hates me.  We have spoken candidly about different things and we have experienced a wide range of emotions.  
 Over time, I have began to discover that Drama Girl did not come in my life by accident.   Through the ups and downs I have learned to love Drama Girl in ways I have never imagined.   I have had the privledge of watching 15 year old Drama Girl turn into a vibrant beautiful woman; she is still the same person from three years ago, but just more refined and driven. 


Having gotten started a bit early on this teenage business, you would think that I have it all figured out: I should be able to do the same things I did with Drama Girl and it would work with everyone else.  That is a resounding NO!!  Every single one is different and unique in their own way. I think my goal in this  neverending journey of female teenagers is to see what I can learn about them and myself while developing a "tough skin" against the constant mood swings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment