Monday, February 6, 2012

Hamburgers?... or a Big Mac


or




So the other day my friend commented that her divorce was final and it was definitely bittersweet.  I couldn't agree more!  Being single again, I got quite a bit of advice.  The one bit of advice that stuck is your going to date a lot of "hamburgers", but don't settle until you find that "Big Mac".   I was in my mid thirties and once again embarking on the dating scene.  The dating scene in your thirties isn't such a pretty sight.   Since it had been thirteen years since I dated, I was told that internet dating was the way to go.

Sitting in front of my computer staring at potential dating partners wasn't what I had planned to do on a Friday night.  And then there was the older singles scene, which consisted of guys old enough to be my dad trying to get my phone number.

I actually didn't mind internet dating because I could sift through the different "fish in the sea" and find someone that somewhat matched with my interests.  Once I did, I could chat with them,  then talk to them on the phone and then meet them in person.

So, I spent endless hours sifting through all of the "fish" and I found that everyone had baggage!  Now I know that I had baggage too, it just depends on what type of baggage you can handle.  The guys that were quite a bit younger than me didn't have the emotional maturity that I needed.  Then there were the guys who had never been married or had no kids who were still waiting for the next best thing.   After endless hours of singles socials and internet dating, I realized I was fine just hanging out and not dating.  All I was doing was running into guys that were like "plain old hamburgers."   I hadn't found the right one and I didn't want to settle for just anyone.

It was interesting that when I was finally content with my life and myself, is when my awesome "Big Mac" made his appearance.   One day while nonchalantly checking out the internet dating scene, there appeared my future husband right before my eyes.  The minute I saw him I knew he was the one.  I was a bit nervous because he had five kids and was eight years older than me.  I was worried that he would be a fuddy-dud.  Just like when you're house shopping and you walk into that perfect house, you feel at home, that's how I felt on our first date.  So long story short, I realized that he was my true love, my "Big Mac".  He is everything I wanted in a husband and he is definitely not a fuddy-dud. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment