Thursday, February 2, 2012

Small Victories





This weekend I watched my husband spend time playing ball with my son and also patiently explaining what it means to be deacon in our church.  It was very touching to me to see how much he cares about my son. 


We have been married going on five years and I have seen so much progress in the different relationships in our blended family.  As a blended family it takes time to get use to each other and the different personalities.  In the beginning of our marriage not all of the personalities jived so well.  There was tears shed and much prayer.  Finally one day my husband came all excited and said he knew the answer.  Service that was the answer.  To serve the person that you don't get along with.  Now serving someone you may not get along with is not as easy as it seems.  Serving them is a very humbling experience and causes you to become closer to them and to have a better relationship with them over time.  It doesn't mean that you go skipping down the yellow brick road, there are definetely going to be things that you still struggle with. 


 A counselor once told me that this is common in any type of family, it is not just isolated in a blended family.  The difference in a blended family is you haven't grown up with all of these people, so it takes time to get use to each other. I have learned that everyone may have different viewpoints and may not be buddy buddy.  That's ok as long as the effort is being made to treat others the way they want to be treated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment